While at our office, we make sure that you receive the highest level of service and ensure that our dental work is of the highest quality. To ensure that you maintain great oral health, this level of quality needs to extend into your personal oral hygiene routine. We can help you establish a dental hygiene routine that will keep your teeth healthy and white. If you have any questions about your current hygiene plan please ask us.
Your teeth are not the only important part of your mouth. Your gums are essential to oral hygiene as well. We can provide periodontal cleanings and treatment, or refer you to one of our recommended specialists. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Professional Cleanings & Dental Exams
Professional cleanings performed by a licensed dentist or hygienist are just as important to your dental health as daily brushing and flossing. Using specialized tools and training, your hygienist at Apex General Dentistry will:
- Remove plaque build-up from the surfaces of teeth. (Bacteria in the mouth form plaque, which collects on teeth and causes decay, gum disease, and gingivitis.)
- Remove tartar from teeth surfaces. (Tartar, or calculus, is plaque that has become so hardened on the teeth that its removal requires special procedures. Tartar below the gum line is also an indication of gum disease.)
- Remove surface stains from teeth through polishing.
Some patients will require a deep cleaning due to gum disease and past periodontal treatments. Dr. Shih will review your past dental history and identify any issues you may need treatment for.
Regular examinations, by your dentist, help detect and prevent health issues before they become serious. Consistent dental check-ups help catch problems when they are small and easier to treat. Left unattended, small treatable problems become worse and may require more extensive, expensive procedures to repair. Dental examinations generally include the following:
- Gum Disease screening
- Oral Cancer screening
- Visual tooth decay evaluation
- Visual gum disease examination
- Gum pocket measurement and tracking
- X-ray examination to detect: tooth decay, cysts, tumors, problems below the gums and other hidden issues
Regular examinations by a dentist are very important for your health. Remember, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” —Benjamin Franklin
Dental X-rays are a primary tool for early identification of dental problems. Dentists can detect issues with X-rays before they become problems saving you money in the long run by preventing the need for more extensive, expensive procedures or surgeries. X-rays are primarily used to detect:
- Internal tooth decay
- Cysts (fluid filled sacks at the base of your teeth)
- Tumors, both cancerous and non-cancerous
- Impacted teeth
- Teeth that are still coming in